--- BIBLE STATISTICS - THE OLD AND THE NEW TESTAMENT ---
THE OLD TESTAMENT
THE NEW TESTAMENT
Number of books: 39
Verses: 23 114
Words: 602 585
Letters: 2 278 100
Middle book: Proverbs
Middle chapter: Job 20
Middle verses: 2 Chronicles 20:17,18
Smallest book: Obadiah
Shortest verse: 1 Chronicles 1:25
Longest verse: Esther 8:9
Longest chapter: Psalms 119
Largest book: Psalms
Number of books: 27
Verses: 7 957
Words: 180 552
Letters: 838 380
Middle book: 2 Thessalonians
Middle chapters: Romans 8, 9
Middle verse: Acts 27:17
Smallest book: 3 John
Shortest verse: John 11:35
Longest verse: Revelation 20:4
Longest chapter: Luke 1
Largest book: Luke
--- BIBLE STATISTICS - INTERESTING FACTS ---
- Amen means: "so let it be."
- Joel means: "The Lord is God."
- About 50 Bibles are sold every minute.
- Seven suicides are recorded in the Bible.
- Luke was a medical doctor - Colossians 4:14.
- Salt is mentioned more than 30 times in the Bible.
- Animals have to answer to God too - Genesis 9:5.
- There are 49 different foods mentioned in the Bible.
- The Bible is the largest seller of all books published.
- Manna tasted just like honey wafers - Exodus 16:31.
- Adam was 930 years old when he died - Genesis 5:5.
- The word "eternity" is mentioned only once - Isaiah 57:15.
- After the resurrection Jesus was on earth for 40 days - Acts 1:3.
- Almonds and pistachios are the only nuts mentioned in the Bible.
- King Solomon had 700 wives, 300 concubines and 12 000 horses.
- In ancient Israel men sealed a deal by exchanging sandals - Ruth 4:7.
- The word "grandmother" appears in the Bible only once - 2 Timothy 1:5.
- The 12 disciples were not allowed to carry food, money or extra clothing.
- In Old Testament times the Mediterranean Sea was called the Great Sea.
- The word "God" appears in every book except Esther and Song of Solomon.
- Joseph was 17 when his brothers sold him to the Ishmaelites - Genesis 37:2.
- No one knows the names of the two robbers crucified on either side of Jesus.
- Gabriel, Michael, and Lucifer are the three angels mentioned by name in the Bible.
- There is one book of prophecy and that is Revelation, written by the apostle John.
- Paul was beaten five times and shipwrecked three times - 2 Corinthians 11:24-25.
- We are to enter into the presence of God with praise and thanksgiving - Psalm 100.
- The Bible was originally written in three languages: Hebrew, Aramic and Koine Greek.
- The spear point alone on Goliath's spear weighed about fifteen pounds - 1 Samuel 17:7.
- Moses was four months old when Pharaoh's daughter found him in a basket - Acts 7:20-21.
- Noah was 600 years old when he built the ark and 950 when he died - Genesis 7:6 and 9:29.
- The word "Christian" appears only three times in the Bible: Acts 11:26; 26:28 and 1 Peter 4:16.
- Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart - Jeremiah 1:5
- Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the Bible and lions 55 times, but domestic cats are not mentioned at all.
- The words "do not be afraid" appear 365 times in the Bible, equal to the same number of days in a year.
- It didn't rain in the Garden of Eden. Water came up as a mist from the earth to water the ground - Genesis 2:5-6.
- The four horsemen of the Apocalypse, named in the book of Revelation, are Conquest, Slaughter, Famine and Death.
- Anna was an 84-year-old prophetess who praised God for the baby Jesus in the Temple in Jerusalem - Luke 2:36-38.
- Did you know that when Jesus died, saints rose from the dead and walked around in Jerusalem? - Matthew 27:52-53.
- In Old Testament times people wore a sack-cloth so other people would know they were in mourning - 2 Samuel 3:31.
- Jesus Christ is heir of all things - Hebrews 1:2. Christians are heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus Christ - Romans 8:17.
- After Moses was given the Ten Commandments he wore a veil over his face because his skin was glowing - Exodus 34:33-35.
- The raven is the first bird mentioned in the Bible. It was sent out by Noah to see if the waters had abated after the great flood.
- Two men in the Bible never died, God just took them up to Heaven. These men were Enoch - Genesis 5:24 and Elijah - 2 Kings 2:11.
- Words that appear only once in the Bible are: Reverend (Psalms 111:9), Eternity (Isaiah 57:15) and Grandmother (2 Timothy 1:5).
- Locusts, katydids (large crickets), other crickets and grasshoppers were considered clean food for the Israelites - Leviticus 11:22.
- Angels really do exist and were witnessed and written about by many people throughout the Bible - Genesis 16:7, Genesis 22:11, Revelation 19:9.
- God so loved the world that He sent his Son to be your replacement and He died for all the sins ever committed by mankind - John 3:16 and 1 John 3:16.
- The Bible was divided into chapters by Stephen Langton in 1228. The Old Testament was divided into verses by R. Nathan in 1488 and the New Testament by Robert Stephanus in 1551.
- The man that helped carry Jesus' cross to his crucifixion was named Simon - Matthew 27:32. Simon was from Cyrene (North Africa) and is also called "Niger" in Acts 13:1. "Niger" means "the black" in Greek.
- The words baptise, baptised, baptisest, baptiseth, baptising appear in the Bible 77 times. It is a word that was translated from the Greek to English to avoid conflict. It means immerse, dip, dunk or plunge.
- Angels communicate messages from God to His people (Acts 5:19), have powers to perform works for God that humans don't have the ability to perform (Matthew 28:2) and minister to God's people (Hebrews 1:14).
- Every action you take while you're alive, no matter how secret you think it is, will be judged (Job 42:2, Ecclesiastes 12:14, Luke 12:2-3, Romans 2:16). Also, every word we speak will be judged (Matthew 12:36-37), because our words say what is in our hearts and thoughts (Matthew 12:34).
- Voltaire, the French philosopher, was an atheist, threatened that he would see to the destruction of the Bible and its removal from the face of the earth. The Bible Society bought the house where he was born after his death and today that building is one of the biggest sales centres of the Bible.
- Jesus had many names: Immanuel, Alpha and Omega, Bright and Morning Star, Good Shepherd, I Am, King of Kings, Lamb of God, Master, Prince of Life (Revelations 1:11, 22:16, 19:16, John 10:14, 8:58, 1:29, 38, 15:1, Acts 3:15, Isaiah 11:10). "And He shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6).
- God said the maximum number of years mankind would live was 120 years (Genesis 6:3). Then the psalmist wrote that man's average lifespan was seventy to eighty years (Psalm 90:10). Today, over 3,000 years later, our average life span is basically the same. It is interesting to realize that despite all the money and research that scientists and researchers spend to find treatments and cures for diseases, we have not increased our lifespan.
- The majority of the Old Testament prophets probably look like failures in the eyes of man. Jeremiah was branded a traitor (Jeremiah 38:4-5). Elijah was a fugitive (1 Kings 18:10; 19:2-3). Some may not have understood their own prophecies (Daniel 8:26; 12:8-9, 1 Peter 1:10-12), but in reality they were not failures, they were simply the mouth-pieces of God. It was not their responsibility to get results, only that they follow God and obey His instructions.